6.23.2007

everything has changed....

i'm sitting in this coffee shop in what could be the coolest southern town that i have ever lived in....black mountain, north carolina. google it. i read this quote one time by donald miller:
"when you build a city near no mountains and no ocean, you get materialism and traditional religion. people have too much time and lack of inspiration."
it is true. i can only say that because i grew up far from mountains, and am now living in a city surrounded by mountains. there is more creativity, more community, and less judgement than i have ever felt.
in fact, there is so much life in this city that, were i not such a fan of living, i could just sit back and experience life through observance of others.
que hermosa.
so this coffee shop-the drippolator-is little. locally owned. not a franchise, praise God. this is where i come to get away. i'm surrounded by tremendously appetizing aromas of coffee (apparently, the coffee of the evening is sumatra), paramore, conversations, good music, and solitude, all at the same time. kind of a paradox, huh? i'm not[yet] convinced that solitude consists of chaining yourself in a dungeon.
so it is here that i have come to realize that my friendships are not entirely fulfilling to me right now. i can't get what i need from them. well, having jesus, isn't that the point? yeah. i'm reminding myself that this is not a negative thing. that it is, in fact, a blessing from God. so this is the theory i have now:
my frienships are not fulfilling to me; therefore, jesus must be.
not everything can be in focus at once.

3 comments:

elizabeth said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
elizabeth said...

beautiful. absolutely love the picture.

Patrick said...

Olivia. You read Jen's Blog. you read my blog. I'm inducing that you must be my mother. Because she's the only Olivia that know both of us. Except Olivia Keaggy, but I don't think she reads my blog.

Interesting Donald Miller quote. I'm guessing that people who live near no mountains and no ocean have constant existential crises, since they can see no structure in their lives. I'm not sure why this would lead to traditional religion, though. What's wrong with tradition, anyway?