10.02.2007

ignorance is...

Ignorance is bliss. Not knowing is effortless. Lack of knowledge is mundane, ordinary, and commonplace. Ignorance is [only] bliss [because there is no accountability to act.]

Ignorance is bliss because it is a burden to be aware. Awareness requires action. Sometimes I am too tired. Sometimes I have my own problems to deal with. Sometimes it takes me a while to care. Sometimes I don’t understand. Therefore, I would rather be ignorant so that there is no pressure to act. So that I am unbothered. Ignorance is bliss.

But see sometimes I get it. Sometimes I am just afraid. Sometimes my worries overshadow the problems of the world. Sometimes I don’t know where to start. Sometimes I feel inadequate.

Who in the world am I to help rescue women and children from sex trafficking? But my Spanish is not good enough to translate for someone in need. How can I teach the English language? How can my writing ever be good enough? How do I completely change my lifestyle and attitude toward food? I don’t understand. I can’t afford it. I can’t do it. I give up. This burden is too great.

The burden is so heavy. I can’t give up, though. Ignorance is ordinary, and God does not call me to a life of being ordinary. I will not be ordinary. Bliss is giving until I can’t give any longer. Bliss is meeting the needs of others. Bliss is acting out in order to shine light on and bring justice to a hellacious situation.

Ignorance lacks accountability. Ignorance lacks life. Light. Bliss. Challenge. Love. Faith. Hope. Grace.
Ignorance is not bliss.
Ignorance is hell.
Ignorance is a lie.

1 comment:

joy said...

AMEN. Now let's change the world.